Recommended Check In Times (within US)
|Arrival at Airport||120 minutes before departure (exceptions below)|
|Finish Check In||30 minutes before departure|
|Be at the boarding gate||15 minutes before departure|
Recommended Check In Times (International)
|Arrival at Airport||180 minutes before departure (exceptions below)|
|Finish Check In||60 minutes before departure
(90 minutes for flights to/from Micronesia and Marshall Islands)
|Be at the boarding gate||30 minutes before departure
Exceptions to minimum check in time requirements for Domestic United flights:
|International Non-stop||Within US, with check in baggage||Within US, only hand baggage|
|Ft. Lauderdale (FLL)||60||45||30|
|Las Vegas (LAS)||60||45||30|
|Los Angeles (LAX)||60||45||30|
|Mammoth Lakes (MMH)||30||30||30|
|New York (LGA)||60||45||30|
|Orange County (SNA)||60||45||30|
|Portland, Maine (PWM)||60||45||30|
|San Diego (SAN)||60||45||30|
|San Francisco (SFO)||60||45||30|
|St. Louis (STL)||60||45||30|
|Washington DC (DCA)||60||45||30|
Latin America and the Caribbean
For airports located outside US, the following exceptions are applied on these airports:
- Caracas (CCS): 90 mints
- Lima (LIM): 75 mints
- San Juan (SJU): 60 mints
- St. Thomas (STT): 60 mints
- Dublin (DUB): 75 mints
Asia and the Pacific
- Guam (GUM): 60 mints
- Manila (MNL): 90 mints
Options of Checking In
|Online Check In
|Opens 24 hrs before departure of flight.|
|Mobile App Check In||Opens 24 hrs before departure of flight|
|Self-service Kiosk||Opens 24 hrs before departure of flight|
United Airlines Online Check In
United Airlines online check in can be done using its website. You can do it in either of the following two ways:
- Last name + Confirmation number or e-ticket number
- Mileage Plus number and password
What is Eligibility for Online Check In on United Airlines?
- First flight is operated by United Airlines
- Not more than 4 flight segments in itinerary
- Less than 9 passengers in a group can check-in
- Have a scanned copy of passport
Who is not eligible to check in online on United Airlines?
- If you have made a special service request due to which you have to see a United representative at the airport.
- Any reservations ticketed on paper.
- If you have booked economy ticket without check in baggage.
Web check in or online check in can also be done with check in bags. These have to be left at dedicated kiosk areas at airports.
If United tickets have been bought with any travel agency, online check in can still be done on United website.
United Airlines Kiosk Check In
The minimum time requirements for United Airlines kiosk check in are given in table above. You are required to provide your major credit card, United MileagePlus frequent flyer card or passport or Confirmation or ticket number for this process.
When United Kiosk Check in is Not Applicable?
- When United or United Express is not the first carrier
- Unaccompanied Minors
- When change of tickets has happened without fee collection
- Customers carrying paper tickets
What facilities are Available at United Kiosks?
- Check in and printing of boarding pass
- Check and tag baggage
- Select or change seat,
- Purchase an upgrade to a premium cabin or purchase Economy Plus® seating, if available
- Stand by for a seat in a premium cabin (for eligible MileagePlus Premier® members)
- Add MileagePlus number
- Change your flight for same-day travel
- Find alternate flights if your original flight is delayed or cancelled
- Transact in multiple languages- English, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Chinese (Simplified or Traditional), French, German, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish or Thai
- Listen to an audio output of the instructions if you’re visually impaired